In 1958, Esther Dunham learned from a friend at the University of Michigan International Center that an increasing number of foreign graduate students were arriving in Ann Arbor with their families.
The wives and children often faced difficult adjustments and loneliness. Mrs. Dunham and her neighbors responded, offering hospitality with a series of informal gatherings of neighborhood groups, more or less, on a monthly basis. English Conversation Groups and a newsletter were added.
Then, a monthly International Day program was begun. Gradually, other activities were added. International Neighbors was formally organized through the adoption of by-laws and the establishment of an executive board in 1960. In 1963, it was incorporated under Michigan law as a non-profit charitable organization.
All women are welcome to participate. We share activities in large group gatherings, such as our Fall Open House and International Days, and also in smaller, more personal groups. Knowledge of English is not necessary and there is no fee for participation.